ExpressTec Proteins: Pure, Safe, and Accessible
ExpressTec changes the paradigm of recombinant-protein manufacture. Traditional production-scale processes rely on bacterial, yeast, or mammalian cell-culture expression systems, transgenic animals, or purification from natural sources. The limitations of these approaches include inadequate or non-sustainable supply from naturally occurring sources; low manufacturing yields with high capital-investment requirements and operating costs, and associated high cost of production; and potential for contamination from by-products present in the background organism or natural source.
Using ExpressTec, our scientists have been able to harness the natural life cycle and growth of rice as a background in which to manufacture highly pure recombinant proteins.
- High product yields: ten-fold higher yields compared to other plant expression systems.
- Safe background: orally available products produced in a plant that is safe for oral delivery.
- Eukaryotic expression system: rice can manufacture complex biologics that are difficult to make in other hosts, including proteins requiring post-translational modification.
- Flexibility: ability to manufacture multi-subunit molecules, monoclonal antibodies, fusion proteins, and enzymes.
- Purity: products that are inherently free of animal, human, or microbial by-products, making them ideal for therapeutic use or for use in sensitive and exacting biotechnology applications.
- Cost-effectiveness: suitable for cGMP manufacturing with dramatically lower cost of production.
- Scalability: recombinant protein yields from kilograms to hundreds of metric tons.
- Simplicity: batch-purification uses a simple, scalable, aqueous process with a 12 to 16-hour batch time.
- Storability: mature ExpressTec grain can be stored without product degradation.
- Biosecurity: ExpressTec plants are self-pollinating, maintaining genetic purity, with a chain of custody trackable from target gene to final biologic.
- Environmental responsibility: the manufacturing process comes with a reduced carbon footprint.